Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Time For Tea!

Ever had the British tradition of afternoon tea?  My girlfriends and I absolutely love taking some time off, putting on nice sundresses to have a tea party!  Even my boyfriend is getting into the tea grove.  And what's not to love?  Terrific teas, scrumptious scones, and savory sandwiches all adorned with one of a kind teapots and matching teacups.  And while the the royal marriage of Will and Kate still grace the covers of magazines and newspapers across, I thought it would be nice to find out a little more on such a tradition that caught on so quickly here in the states.  So whether or not you've had tea time, here's a little history of how afternoon tea came to be!  And maybe it might get you curious enough to go out and venture on this great tradition!


First off, though the tradition of "taking tea" originated from the British Empire, specifically England, it is practiced in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, France, Switzerland, and of course in the United States.






In the U.K., there are two types of tea time -- afternoon tea (a.k.a. low tea) which is eaten between 3-5pm, and high tea (meat tea) which an early evening meal that is eaten between 5-6pm.  Afternoon tea usually consists of finger sandwiches, primarily with cucumber, egg, ham or smoked salmon, scones with jam or clotted cream, and various cakes or pastries, all served in a three-tiered serving dish.  High tea, however, would consist of cold meats, egg or fish, cakes, and sandwiches.


Many Britons today no longer have the time to take a break mid-day to enjoy a formal tea time.  Instead, they take a simpler take on tea time that consists of tea and biscuits. 


In other parts of England, as well as Australia and New Zealand, "tea" often refers to the main evening meal which is "dinner."  In France and other French-speaking Europe, tea time is called "le gouter" which basically means 4pm afternoon snack.  Le gouter is usually for kids coming home from school and consists of a baguette with butter and jam or other spreads, hot chocolate or juice, and never with tea or coffee.  "Gouter" for adults would consist of pastries and alcohol, only served after 7pm.


As for the United States, tea time is regarded as a formal gathering where tea, finger sandwiches and little cakes are served on the best china.  You can find afternoon tea served in high-end hotels and the much popular teahouses.  Though most high tea are very formal, there are teahouses in the states that are much more informal and playful.

Now that you know what afternoon/high tea is, here are some some great tea houses to try out! (In Random Order)

1. Tyme For Tea -- Fremont
They have hats for you to borrow and wear during your tea time experience!  Plus, a vintage shop right beside the dining area.

2. Langham Huntington Hotel, Pasadena -- Chocolate Afternoon Tea
My ultimate favorite!  Probably one of the most expensive afternoon teas out there at $59 per person, but it's soooo worth it!  Let's just say, there's an all-you-can-eat dessert buffet (pictured below).  Oh, and did I mention, everything (from sandwiches to tea) all contain chocolate!! YUM!

The following are on my to-try list:
1. DarTeaLing Lounge -- San Francisco


2. Crown & Crumpet -- San Francisco

3. Lovejoy's Tea Room -- San Francisco


NOW GO GET YOUR TEA ON!! :)

p.s.  don't be afraid to bring your man along...he's gonna enjoy more than he will admit. ;]

5 comments:

  1. Very informative on the tea talk! I really enjoyed your blog and overall organization of pictures along with links you shared to the sites of tea locations listed. Definitely will check some out this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I love british teas hahaha I love having tea time too hahaha in London we had tea time and my cousin and I ate pizza and scones :) I'm going back to London soon so I will most def check out the teas and scones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea time. However, because it tends to be on the pricey side here in San Francisco, I've opted to make my own. If you continue to post after the English class is over, please please please post up some recipes for tea time. Currently, I'm looking for a way to make scones. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sheraton Palace Hotel has the most delightful High Tea! What a wonderful experience in one of the oldest hotel's in San Francisco! Once when I was there they red hat ladies were having high tea! Cant' wait to do it again, though I think I will try a new location that you suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By all means I enjoy a good cup of tea in the morning,afternoon, and evening. I have not yet tried venturing off to specific locations like The Sheraton Palace Hotel or any other nice "fancy" tea shops to gain the experience. I'm not sure if I can picture myself doing that. I am a tea fanatic. I unfortunately can not drink coffee. This replaces my coffee urge with tea. I enjoy adding ingredients to my tea to make it taste different...a different "zing" to it, if you catch my drift.

    ReplyDelete