Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sherbet, Sorbet -- to-MAY-to, to-MA-to??

The sun's shining, the wind's breezing by, and there's not a cloud in sight!  So what to do on a gorgeous and almost rare day like this in San Francisco?  I say, "Off to Delores Park and get some ice cream on!"  And I'm sure, if you ask every San Franciscan here what ice cream they prefer, it's gonna be a death match between Bi-Rite's Creamery and Mitchell's Ice Cream.

In my personal opinion, I think I prefer Mitchell's Ice cream.  Not only do they exotic flavors that you won't find anywhere else (not even in Bi-Rite,) but the availability of flavors are consistent.  Which brings me to my next point.  Although Bi-Rite has some unique flavors like Balsamic Strawberry, the famed Salted Caramel, and some other brainy concoctions, the availability of flavors alternate.  

My favorite from Bi-Rite is Earl Grey--which they don't always carry--and I hate nothing more than to wait 45 minutes in line only to find out that it's not there.  So if you like your ice cream like your men...or women... quirky, one of a kind, and consistently available, then go for Mitchell's.  But if you're in the mood for spontaneity, off to Bi-Rite you go!

Anyhoo, moving on the today's subject... Ever wonder what the difference between Sorbet and Sherbet??  Not to mention how to pronounce it?

First off, sorbet is pronounced SORE-BAY.  But sherbet is a whole other story.  Many people will argue it's pronounced sher-bert.  Even I will plea guilty to that.  But in all actuality, it's pronounced SHER-BIT, like hermit.  I think I'll keep calling it sher-bert.

Now on to cracking the code -- what's the difference??  Sorbets and Sherbets are in deed very similar to each other in texture and consistency.  However, the key difference is one contains a little dairy whereas the other doesn't.  Can you guess which one?  Probably not.  Well, both sorbets and sherbets contain pureed fruit, sugar, and water.  Both also has an icy consistency.  However, sherbets are the ones that contain a bit of dairy in it.  According to HowStuffWorks.com, "In fact, most brands of sherbet sold in supermarkets contain from 1 percent to 2 percent milk fat or cream."  Crazy huh!  And because sorbets don't ever contain dairy, it has softer consistency.

So if you're lactose intolerant, definitely go for sorbets!

2 comments:

  1. I hate the hot weather cause it makes me cranky but chocolate always perks me up :) I've never understood the term sorbet like when I hate strawberry ice cream sorbet it was a bit sour, it wasn't sweet. Oh the correct term is tart. But maybe I'll try Mitchell's Ice Cream cause I like ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, when I first read the title of your post I was expecting it to be about Tomato sherbet & Sorbet. Who knows with the crazy flavors out there, its a possibility!
    I've tried both Bi-Rite Creamery & Mitchell Ice, cant say which one I prefer better but its the interesting flavors that get to me to try it. For example from Bi-Rite I like the salted caramel, it sounded so strange at the beginning salt out together with sweet but it was a pretty balance. Another place to get your crazy ice cream fix is Humphry Slocombe, they known to use unique ingredients and bizarre combinations. As for sherbet and sorbet topic, its nice to know the difference depending on the ingredients. Ive always assume they were the same thing = icy fruity goodness!

    ReplyDelete