Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Cake Made for Royalty

It's officially been a week since I stayed up till three in the morning to catch the Royal nuptials wishing I, like every other girl in the world, was the lucky Kate...or should I say Katherine... Middleton. But now that I have come back down to reality, it's time for some cake talk!


Though gorgeous as Will and Kate's actual wedding cake was, with it's 900 sugar-paste flowers, it was just a simple fruit cake.  What caught my attention and curiosity the most was the groom's cake -- a chocolate biscuit cake.


Before the Royal wedding, I have never heard of a chocolate biscuit cake. But it was garnering so much hype I couldn't help but be curious.


So after much digging and skimming through our awesome free internet database, a.k.a. google, I found out what a chocolate biscuit cake really is and how to make one.


So basically, the name of the cake says it all.  It is literally made up of chocolate, tea biscuits, and more chocolate.  And I found the perfect place to learn how to make it.


The following recipe comes from Sense and Simplicity blog.


Ingredients:
4 tbsp (60 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
4 oz (11o g) dark chocolate, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
8 oz (225 g) McVitie's Rich Tea Biscuits, about 28 biscuits broken into almond-sized pieces
8 oz (225 g) dark chocolate, chopped - for the icing

Method:
1. Line bottom of 7-inch (18 cm) springform pan with parchment paper and butter sides of the pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy using electric mixer on medium setting.
3. In double boiler melt 4 oz chocolate.
4.  Stir in butter mixture.
5.  Stir in egg.
6.  Remove from heat and add biscuits, stirring until well mixed.
7.  Spoon mixture into springform pan filling all gaps and refrigerate for three hours until set.
8.  Remove pan and turn cake upside-down on cooling rack set over a parchment lined baking sheet.
9.  Melt 8 oz chocolate in double boiler.
10. Pour the melted chocolate over the cake, smoothing it on the top and sides.
11.  Let stand for one hour until set.
12.  Carefully remove cake from the cooling racks and place on serving plate.
Serves 8



I still have yet to try this recipe, but when I do get the chance, I'll let you guys know how it goes!  Till then, if you get the chance to try this before I do, let me know how it turned out!

2 comments:

  1. NO WAY!!!! That's amazing hahaha my sister was looking at your blog and she loves it hahaha yeah I wanna try making this during the summer looks amazing. People thought I went to London and attended the royal wedding cause my facebook said I moved there haha. Actually London is good for their scones and clotted creame and strawberry jam. Actually when I really went there tea time was always cakes scones every sweet thing you can imagine. Even the scones were good and I'm not really a scones fan. I like their pastry I think its called sweet cakes kind of like our cupcakes but not the same texture. Looks cool though the royal wedding was amazing on TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed looking at your posts. Your blog has inspired me to bake and cook. My friend and I are either cooking or baking together at least once a week. We've been trying out recipes we find online and they’ve turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete