Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And So It Begins...

For the next couple months, and hopefully even longer, I will be putting myself through hours of sugar-covered sweat every week to brave on a new baking challenge.  And every once in a while, I'll let my readers live vicariously through me as I encounter new findings of sugary sweetness and hidden gems.  In return, I hope it will inspire you to go on your own sweet adventure and let me live vicariously through you.


Baking and designing is no easy task.  I hope this blog will help me learn something, not only about baking and designing events, but help me learn something about myself.  If and when that day comes, that I sign off on this blog, I hope that I have grown to be a better baker, designer, and even writer.  But that's not gonna happen unless you guys help me.  So don't be afraid to share your own stories, experiences, and even your brutally honest thoughts ;)


I'll now leave you with a picture of the very first table centerpiece I've ever made for a Christmas party.

What you need:
- about a dozen cleaned and polished apples...similar in size and shape
- about 10 limes
- skewers and toothpicks
- fake holiday plants from your local dollar store (i bought about 4 bunches)
- bag of pine cones also from your local dollar store.  (real ones smell great too if you can find them)
- cake stand or a nice large plate
- a plastic bowl (i used a gold one, so if it shows, it still looks nice)

The fun part!
1. on your large plate or cake stand, glue or tape your plastic bowl upside down in the middle.
2. skewer the limes together to form a little lime tree.  It's ok if you can see the skewers, you will be covering them with holly berries later.
3. Place and secure your skewered lime tree onto the plastic bowl.  Put aside.
4. Trace the tea light candles onto the tops of the apples and knife it out.  Make sure you don't cut in too deep or the candle with sink in.
5. Place your apple candles around the base of your lime tree.
6. With the bunches of holiday plants, start cutting off the leaves and whatnots from its stem.
7. Take your holly berries and fill in the spaces between the limes and cover any showing skewers.
8.  Now use your creativity and decorate the leaves and pine cones how you see fit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment